Dear Artists, Friends and Community Members,
The MTA-Artists Unite Subway Elevator Poster Project, a long standing effort by the community is happy to announce this second call for artwork to be placed in the subway elevators at the A-Line 184h St (181st. Subway Stop) & 190th St. Subway Stations.
The first phase (6 posters for six months) has been successfully completed acknowledging the uniqueness of our community and fulfilling Artists Unite Mission to bring art to the public in creative new venues. The first set of posters can still be seen in the elevators.
We are looking for six (6) original artworks by artists residing in CB 12* to be produced as posters and placed, one in each of the 3 elevators per station. Work will be seen by thousands of residents and tourists en route to the Cloisters Museum. See Instructions
* CB 12 covers Manhattan north of 155th street, river to river.
- Material must be sensitive to and respectful of the diversity of the community.
- Materials may (but need not) reflect icons associated with the surrounding neighborhood (by way of example, local parks, places of interest, etc.); they may not include depictions of commercial establishments or photographs of individuals, pets, or private residences.
- Materials shall not include written or printed text.
- Materials shall not include messages that might reasonably be interpreted as an endorsement or advocacy of any political, religious, social or ethnic organization, cause, or belief nor contain logos or other symbols of same.
- The transit system is used by a diverse population, and accordingly, the materials shall be appropriate for viewing by persons of all ages and varying backgrounds. They shall not include content or references which might be reasonably construed as being of a sexual or violent nature.
- Proposed art must lend itself to reproduction as a two-dimensional poster, no more than 29.5 inches wide by 45 inches long, printed on standard paper stock.
- Allow room for a seven-inch strip running across the bottom of the poster on which will appear the text, “New York City Transit Celebrates Washington Heights” and the MTA New York City Transit logo.
Deadline for submissions: March 19, 2010, 12:00 Midnight.
Projected Exhibition Dates: April 1, 2010 - October 1, 2010
Submission Format: Original work may be in any medium: painting, collage, sculpture, photography.